<% = BreadCrumb(Request.ServerVariables("PATH_INFO")) %>
Special Missions #8- "Ambush"
Writer: Larry Hama
Penciler: Herb Trimpe
The CIA enlists a group of Joes to go after a spy turned traitor in Southeast Asia. The Joes parachute into the jungle to set-up an ambush on the Communist armored column transporting the spy, a guy named Theron Portland. The gig is busted when a young kid and his WATER BUFFALO enter the road. A firefight breaks out between both sides, as Portland runs into the jungle. While the other Joes break for their chopper, Low-light goes after Portland. Low-light knocks Portland out and recovers the computer chips he was carrying.
During the flight back, CIA Agent Anderson reveals that they were counting on Portland to defect, since there was a virus in the chips that would destroy the Russians' computers. But Low-light ruined it by recovering the chips.
- Tough to tell if this was a good or bad ending. CIA Agent Anderson has egg on his face for setting up the Joes...but they seemingly botched the mission by recoveirng the chips.
- Wet-Suit appears, but not in his...well, set-suit. He's wearing typical Navy SEAL "Land" gear: panama hat and camos.
- Flint is essentially the field boss on this mission. One of the few times he got to lead.
- Low-light is along as the team's sniper. A bit confusing to some kids who thought he was simply a "night soldier".
- Trimpe drops in another old plane: a C-47 Dakota
- This plays out like "The Joes in Vietnam", with the jungle trek and the run for the chopper.
- Again, no Cobra at all.
Characters (figures): Duke, Lift-ticket, Wild Bill, Flint, Low-light, Leatherneck, Wet-Suit, Footloose, Tunnel Rat, Beachhead
Characters ("comic-only"): CIA Agent Anderson, Theron Portland, Russian soldiers
Vehicles and stuff (toys): C-47 Dakota, Russian armor
Vehicles and stuff (not toys): none
Characters: CIA Agent Anderson, Theron Portland,
Rating: Rating: 2 Flag Points
Back to GI Joe Comic Index Main Page
Back to Comics index