<% = BreadCrumb(Request.ServerVariables("PATH_INFO")) %>
Writer: Larry Hama
Pencilers: Paul Ryan
In a silent story, yet with amplified sound effects, Zartan and the Red Ninjas attack Jinx at the De Jong Museum. When Jinx runs to a phone booth and calls for help, Zartan traces the call and arrives at Storm Shadow's dojo. Stormie takes out the Reds, then pursues Zartan, who tries to escape in his VW mini-bus. He chases Zartan to the Golden Gate Bridge, shoots out the VW's tires and Zartan crashes into the bay, seemingly "dead".
- Just about every panel has a sound effect in it. From Jinx's footsteps in the museum to the heartbeat of a Red Ninja
- Stormie shows his intelligence (and bowmanship) by taking out the driver of both Zartan's helicopter and the VW bus, first.
- Zartan breaks out his sound-amplified bow, once again.
- Storm Shadow has a Bad Ass Moment: he throws his sword through a fire door, impaling a Red Ninja on the other side.
- In another of those conveinent comic effects, they encounter no traffic gridlock on the chase from downtown San Francisco to the Golden Gate Bridge. Wow, lack of "realism", indeed!
- While this is an enjoyable issue, there's just something missing from it. This grudge match--- that's been in the waiting since issue 45-- doesn't seem all that special. The sound effect gimmick really wears on the audience, too.
- With this issue, I think Zartan is written out for the foreseeable future. If you think he's dead, then you've really never read a comic book.
Characters (figures):Storm Shadow, Jinx, Zartan
Characters ("comic-only"): Red Ninjas
Vehicles and stuff (toys): none
Vehicles and stuff (not toys): Zartan's Helicopter ZTN-456, Zartan's VW mini-bus urban assault vehicle
Vehicles and stuff: none
Rating: 4 Flag Points
Back to GI Joe Comic Index Main Page
Back to Comics index