<% = BreadCrumb(Request.ServerVariables("PATH_INFO")) %>
#64- "Manuvering for Position"
Writer: Larry Hama
Penciler: Ron Wagner
Fred VII arrives on Cobra Island and claims to be "Cobra Commander". But the only person who knows what the real CC looks like is the Baroness. In private, and at the risk of his life, Fred VII unmasks to the Baroness. Instead of exposing him, she decides to work with his charade, as they become partners.
In Utah, Chuckles and the other new Joes arrive at the Pit III. They don't have full security clearance yet...so try their best to figure out why all the other Joes appear to be grimy and covered in dirt. Plus there's the case of those mysterious giant tracks in the desert.
Snake-Eyes, Scarlett and the Blind Master have arrived in France. After fighting off some French gangsters (Ha!), the continue on their mission to save Stalker and the others. They've been written off as "dead" by the US.
- Fred makes a violent entry into Cobra Island in his Pogo, being pursued by (new) Mamba copters. Serpentor orders ASP gunners to shoot down BOTH the Pogo and the Mambas. So much for Serpie being a benevolent leader who values the lives of his troops. That was the big difference when Serpie arrived (issue 50), now he's just another scheming villain. I have to feel that that was a change in the writing plans. A Cobra leader with morals would've been interesting.
- Serpentor mentions that he's just the "custodian" of the Cobra leadership position.
- The Baroness mentions that she was recently removed as director of the Cobra Consulate Building, as a result of Special Missions #7. Ooo! Continuity!
- When Fred confesses to the Baroness, he lies and says that the real Commander simply gave up and decided to live with Billy.
- Once again, Leatherneck is a dick to the new recruits.
- Captain Minh is seemingly killed when his boat is destroyed by a Mamba. But Minh will re-surface soon enough.
- Captain Minh quotes #1: (to Fred): "You numbah ten crazy! You die, too!"
- Back-stop is included in the new group of Joes. But he only appears in shadow and is never clearly seen.
- Two of the cameo appearances are firsties: Frostbite and Sci-Fi. You almost need a magnifying glass to see them.
- The Persuader, depsite being a rather unrealistic "laser tank", was one of my favorite vehicles. Right up there with the Slugger and the Warthog.
Characters (figures):Hawk, Chuckles, Psyche-Out, Snake-Eyes, Scarlett, Leatherneck, Crankcase, Lt. Falcon, Law, Order, Fast-Draw, Back-stop, Gung-Ho, Roadblock, Payload, Hardtop, Bazooka, Recondo, Baroness, Dr. Mindbender, Zartan, Torch, Ripper, Serpentor
Joe cameos: Flint, Lady Jaye, Wild Bill, Low-light, Footloose, Zap, Clutch, Spirit Iron-Knife, Tunnell Rat, Sci-Fi, Frostbite, Dusty, Outback, Airborne, Steeler, few more non-descript Joes.
Characters ("comic-only"): Blind Master, Fred VII, Captain Minh
Vehicles and stuff (toys): AWE Striker, Persuader, Cobra HISS, Cobra Pogo, Cobra ASP, Cobra Mamba, Cobra Stinger
Vehicles and stuff (not toys): Cobra gunship/transport copter.
Characters: Back-stop, Payload, Hardtop, Frostbite, Sci-Fi, Gyro Vipers
Vehicles and stuff:Persuader
Rating: 3 Flag Points
Back to GI Joe Comic Index Main Page
Back to Comics index