<% = BreadCrumb(Request.ServerVariables("PATH_INFO")) %>
#54- "Launch Base"
Writer: Larry Hama
Penciler: Rod Whigham
Serpentor decides to go into the business of selling Terror Dromes. Their first client happens to be...the country of Sierra Gordo. The Joes notice the new Terror Drome through surveillance photos and devise a plan to send a disguised Snake-Eyes into Sierra Gordo to get "captured". Slipstream stages a plane crash with the new Conquest X-30 and ejects Snake-Eyes (disguised as "Flint") into Sierra Gordo. "Flint" is captured and taken into the Terror Drome...where Dr. Mindbender orders him plugged into the new and improved Brainwave Scanner!
Deep below the rubble of the Pit, Cobra Commander and Destro are alive and desparate to get out.
- Despite being introduced as an "ultimate soldier" and military stragtegist, Serpentor suddenly becomes heavily interested in marketing and being a sleazy salesman.
- The disappointing re-organization of Cobra continues this issue. Serpentor, Dr. Mindbender and the Zartan clan are portrayed as being the head honchos.
- Mindbender mentions that he's uprgraded the Brainwave Scanner from Dr. Venom's earlier designs.
- Snake-Eyes throws flowers onto the Pit to commemorate Destro and Cobra Commander. The Baroness glides past in an undetected Rattler and tosses out a wreath in memory of Destro.
- The Joes are working out of the Ft. Wadsworth gymnasium.
- Slipstream is introduced playing video games in the Ft. Wadsworth rec room. He's written as though this is his first appearance, but he was mentioned by NAME and had a small scene in issue 49. He "introduces" himself to Wild Bill, Ace and Airborne...despite the fact that he was flying a C-130 and communicating with them during the Springfield battle.
- The Conquest X-30 is shown as being a two-seater plane. The toy version only had one, unlike the Skystriker which had two. Force of habit by the writers. I'm sure the "real" version of the Conquest had two seats, anyways.
- This issue was another "toyjam", with an animated commercial to sell Conquest and Terror Drome toys. "Coincedentally", it came out in the fall of 1986...just in time for the upcoming Xmas season.
- First appearance of the un-named "AVACs" Firebat pilots.
- Big tease for next issue, as they mention that a Joe will leave the team.
- Sam DeLaRosa is the new inker for this issue, taking over for Andy Mushynsky. It really improves Whigham's pencils, as they appear to have more depth, finally helping the "stiff" appearance that his work had.
Characters (figures):Hawk, Airtight, Flint, Lady Jaye, Snake-Eyes, Scarlett, Spirit Iron-Knife, Ace, Airborne, Wild Bill, Slipstream, Dial-tone (cameo), Rock n' Roll (cameo), Serpentor, Baroness, Tomax, Xamot, Dr. Mindbender, Zartan, Zarana, Zandar, Torch, Ripper, Buzzer, Cobra Commander, Destro
Characters ("comic-only"): Clarence & Percy
Vehicles and stuff (toys): Conquest X-30, Cobra Ferret, Cobra Rattler, Cobra Terror Drome, Cobra Firebat, Cobra HISS
Vehicles and stuff (not toys): Cobra transport helicopter/gunship
Characters: A.V.A.Cs as "Firebat Pilot"
Vehicles: Conquest X-30
Rating: Rating: 2 Flag Points
Back to GI Joe Comic Index Main Page
Back to Comics index