<% = BreadCrumb(Request.ServerVariables("PATH_INFO")) %>
#39- "Walk Through the Jungle"
Writer: Larry Hama
Penciler: Rod Whigham
Stalker's team rappels down a sheer cliff wall into the Cobra fortress in Seirra Gordo. For once, everything pretty much goes as planned, as they're able to rescue Dr. Burkhart and make it out of the country.
In the Pit, Duke and Lady J question Candy about her dad. She has no idea about Cobra, the Crimson Guard or what her dad was up to. The Joes found alot of maps and documents about New Orleans and the Gulf of Mexico in her dad's house, though. In Springfield, Cobra Commander plans to head to New Orleans to meet Tomax, Xamot and the "Crimson Guardsman with the special knowledge". In Sierra Gordo, Stalker's team is picked up by Wild Bill, but they're not going back to Staten Island, they're stopping off in New Orleans.
- Dr. Burkhart was in Sierra Gordo trying to arbitrate a peace between two factions when she was captured.
- Both of Recondo's Turaco buddies are gunned down as the Joes escape the fortress.
- Recondo has two Bad-Ass Moments as he quickly takes out two groups of enemies, single-handedly and off-panel. When someone asks how he did it, the reply is simply: "dont' ask".
- While it's a Cobra fortress, it's not occupied by Cobras. Rather, a buncha' contra-types, including two snipers named Gregor and Dmitri (most likely, Russian advisors to the rebels).
- Roadblock and Gung-Ho resume their buddy/tough guy relationship, started in issue 24. They build a rope bridge to cross a river and Roadblock mentions that he learned how to build such a thing in the Boy Scouts. Specifically, while earning his Pioneering merit badge (that was the badge that revolved around building rope structures, so it's 100% correct). But Roadblock had to quit Scouts because it conflicted with choir practice. Gung-Ho needles him about his "sissy-boy" choir uniform.
- Similar to Kwinn's myticism from early issues, Recondo drops two enemy assualt rifles into the river, as a way for the fallen Tucaros to honor the River Gods.
- Storm Shadow and Billy are in an undisclosed city, training inside Stormie's water tower dojo. First time we've seen this little hideout. I don't think it was ever revealed why Storm Shadow felt the need to escape with Billy and make him his apprentice.
- Candy's outfit is hilarious. 100% 1984 "Valley girl" (even though it was already 1985). She has a black mini-skirt, red/yellow leopard spotted top and a HEADBAND.
Characters (figures):Stalker, Recondo, Roadblock, Gung-Ho, Rip-cord, Duke, Lady J, Wild Bill, Cover Girl, Storm Shadow, Cobra Commander, Baroness, Destro
Characters ("comic-only"):Billy, Candy, Dr. Adele Burkhart, Tucaros
Vehicles and stuff (toys): none
Vehicles and stuff (not toys): none
Rating: Rating: 4 Flag Points
Back to GI Joe Comic Index Main Page
Back to Comics index