<% = BreadCrumb(Request.ServerVariables("PATH_INFO")) %>
GI Joe #204
Writer: Larry Hama
Penciler: S.L. Gallant
In Olliestan, Torpedo's team escapes into the mountains with Dr. Burkhart, pursued by the insurgents. Using trickery, well-times shots and a GI Joe drone plane, they manange to trim away at the pursuing horde. The Joes and Dr. Burkhart have an ongoing dicussion about the intent on the insurgents. Muskrat recalls a mass grave of villagers they found on the way in to the stronghold; so there's a better-than-average chance they're terrible people.
In Rancho Corba Acres, Cobra Commander is recovering from his Road Pig attack and begins scheming aloud for revenge. As he does, his TV blows up and an automated call from Destro reminds him it is "better to be deterred than blow up by technological conveniences supplied by companies such as M.A.R.S".
In Seattle a Fred is shown as an air traffic controller at Sea/Tac airport. Meanwhile, candidate Wendy Ling Torres begins warming up to another Fred.
- Great military/special forces action with Torpedo's team, this issue.
- Torpedo rigs his canteen with C4, which an insurgent triggers.
- Wild Bill, Lift-Ticket, Lifeline and Rock & Roll are en route with the Tomahawk, but run across some friendly fire from US occupiers in neighboring Prupistan.
- There is a "dog leg" on one of the borders of Olliestan. It lies next to the countries Prupistan and Rudatistan; two new locations to the "Joe Universe".
- I'm thinking there's a pun or joke with the names Ollie, Prupi and Rudati as "-stans"... but darned if I can figure it out.
- Lifeline mentons that he's still a pacifist; despite the fact he's gone in the Tomahawks' gunner seat with Rock & Roll. No-Prize Explanation: there's only one door gunner (Rock & Roll) and Lifeline was simply sitting in the opposing seat to balance out the weight.
- Similar to the 1989 Southeast Asia arc in "Special Missions #14-19", the Tomahawk is running into fuel problems.
- The Fred working for Ling Torres has a high school football picture of him in the "Rancho Corba Acres Fighting Cobras". Since Cobra hasn't been in Rancho Corba all that long, you can assume this was a faked picture. Unless we're supposed to believe this Fred is 18 and right out of high school.
- The Sea-Tac Fred communicates with a flight from "Air Prupistan". Probably just a fun coincidence.
- She was shown on a billboard in issue 202, but this is the first live speaking role for Wendy Ling Torres.
Characters (figures): Torpedo, Alpine, Muskrat, Long Range, Stalker, Duke, Mainframe, Stalker, Scarlett, Clutch, Wild Bill, Lift-ticket, Lifeline, Rock & Roll. Cobra Commander, Dr. Mindbender
Characters ("comic-only"):Dr. Adele Burkhart, random Olliestan "insurgents", Wendy Ling Torres
Vehicles and stuff (toys): Tomahawk, VAMP (cameo)
Vehicles and stuff (not toys): GI Joe Drone plane.
Vehicles and stuff: none
Rating: 4 Flag Points
Back to GI Joe Comic Index Main Page
Back to Comics index