<% = BreadCrumb(Request.ServerVariables("PATH_INFO")) %>
GI Joe #171
Writer: Larry Hama
Penciler: S. L. Gallant
Sneak Peek recounts to Chuckles how he gained intel on Darklon's castle. Katya was working with the Darklonian underground and took Sneak Peek on a sightseeing tour of all the key locations.
In the present, Flint's team uses Sneak Peek's intel to gain entrance to Darklon's underground bunker and capture him. As they make their extraction, a Viper shoots into the Tomahawk, hitting Darklon and Lady Jaye. There is only enough coalugant and plasma in the Tomahawk's medical kit to save one person-- Flint ponders this decision for this month's cliffhanger.
On the last page, Firefly (?) does a drive-by of the Brooklyn Arashikage dojo, with an RPG.
- Interesting touch how Darklon's troops are made up of "Python Vipers", from Python Patrol circa 1989. I don't believe the Python Vipers were ever seen anywhere else, so having them as "Darklon's Troops" is a good distinguishing move.
- I'm assuming that it's Firefly doing the drive-by on the last page. If it is, he's tweaked his costume, slightly, since last issue. Firefly was taken out by Jane, last issue. So how he quickly escaped, got across town, got a mini-van with an RPG and changed his outfit is up for debate.
- Good cliffhanger with Flint's decision on who to save. The mission orders were to bring back Daklon alive, so there is some conflict among characters and fans. I would assume he saves Lady Jaye, going back to the old comraderie aspects of the book. If Lady Jaye recovers and acts touched, I'd expect Flint to say something like: "don't take it personal. I'm just looking out for my squad".
- Aside from the ending, there is nothing interesting or exciting about Flint's mission. They go in, shoot people, and grab Darklon.
- Katya mentions that "every other girl in this valley is named Katya". So her name could be an alias.
- Sneak Peek's flashback missions gets weaker by the month. His "death" in Benzheen STILL hasn't been addressed and his actual surveillance mission is lame. Part of his mission involves calling Joe and Jane to send a pulse beam to Darklon's sensor array in the castle ruins. It seems like the whole mission could've been done with satellite imagery.
Characters (figures): Flint, Lady Jaye, Roadblock, Wild Bill, Lift-Ticket, Recondo, Sneak Peek, Chuckles, Snake-Eyes (cameo), Storm Shadow (cameo), Darklon, Firefly (?)
Characters ("comic-only"): Katya, Billy (cameo), Middle Master (cameo)
Vehicles and stuff (toys): Tomahawk
Vehicles and stuff (not toys):none
Characters: none (unless it's not Firefly on the last page)
Vehicles and stuff: none
Rating: 2 Flag Points
Back to GI Joe Comic Index Main Page
Back to Comics index