<% = BreadCrumb(Request.ServerVariables("PATH_INFO")) %>
GI Joe #162
Writer: Larry Hama
Penciler: S.L. Gallant
Cobra arives state-side and promptly returns to Broca Beach. Zartan heads out to the Pine Barrens, where he finds the Dreadnoks waiting and rebuilding their Thunder Machine (but not before beating the tar out of them while disguised as state trooper). But the Dreadnoks will not return to action unless they get their chocolate donuts and grape soda.
Back at Broca Beach, Lady Jaye and Torpedo surf into the actual beach to observe. They trail the Baroness; who has been dispatched to fetch donuts and soda. After some vehicular fisticuffs, Lady Jaye and the Baroness get into a catfight, which Lady Jaye decidedly wins. When the Baroness doesn't arrive at the Pine Barrens, Zartan surmises that their location has been compromised and that they should split.
Meanwhile, Snake-Eyes displays his seeming loyalty to Cobra by slicing off the head of a Scarlett manequin.
- Cobra arrives at Newark airport, then proceeds to drive a Maggot (tank) down the heavily populated highway; in mid-day no less; to Broca Beach. All the while, Destro, Cobra Commander and Baroness are in plain view. So much for secrecy. But you can guess that "Cobra" has become something of a common entity to Joe Public.
- Cobra Commander mentions that they're allowed to operate on US soil under diplomatic immunity, since they're in full control of the Borovian government.
- In addition to the Maggott, Cobra moves down the shore in a "Broca Bros. Circus" truck.
- Dr. Venom is clearly defined as being in full control of Billy, now.
- Torpedo has a custom surfboard, adorned with a Hawaiian motif. Kinda' cool, because I don't think the fact that Torpedo was born in Hawaii was ever brought up, "on-screen", in the Marvel run.
- Password acknowledgement for the outer Pit gate is "Jabberwock" and "Bandersnatch". To get past Spirit Iron-Knife, it's "Frabjous" and "Frumious".
- Cobra has a museum in Broca Beach, displaying their history and relics (including a "Battle of Cobra Island" exhibit, where the Scarlett mannequin comes into play.
- Okay, so Scarlett was NOT present at the original "Battle of Cobra Island" (Marvel issue 40), but it's easy to figure that Cobra was simply not 100% accurate in their museum diorama. For instance, I'm sure every Civil War exhibit in a real museum isn't 100% accurate in its mannequins, either.
- The Dreadnoks make their first appearance since the relaunch. Can't say I missed them.Buzzer talks about being hyper gylsemic, while Thrasher mentions that he "bwoke (his) nobe", a call back to issue 70 or so. But have they all been sitting in their gas station since we last saw them, circa issue 148?
Characters (figures): Torpedo, Lady Jaye, Snake-Eyes, Cobra Commander, Baroness, Dr. Mindbender, Destro, Zartan, Torch, Ripper, Buzzer, Thrasher.
Characters ("comic-only"): Billy
Vehicles and stuff (toys): VAMP, Cobra Maggott, Dreadnok Thunder Machine
Vehicles and stuff (not toys): Broca Bros. Semi-truck
Vehicles and stuff: none
Rating: 2 Flag Points
Back to GI Joe Comic Index Main Page
Back to Comics index