<% = BreadCrumb(Request.ServerVariables("PATH_INFO")) %>
Writer: Larry Hama
Penciler: Augustin Padilla
Scarlett and Snake-Eyes enter the underwater conduits of the Silent Castle, taking out a Cobra Eel along the way. They then run into Storm Shadow and are able to knock him out-- but not before Storm Shadow stabs Snake-Eyes in the leg, severly injuring him. Scarlett continues on, with Snake-Eyes hoisted on her back.
The other Joes use a "trojan horse" technique-- hidden inside an old gypsy wagon, they get taken into the Castle, where they soon pop-out and pop open a firefight.
In the Pentagon, Hawk makes his way to a seemingly worthless janitorial closet, tripping alarms and attracting a security team. As planned, the closet is lined with steel plating. As the Pentagon security guys finally break into the closet, Hawk is on the phone with "someone a bit higher on the food chain" (presumably the President).
- As Storm Shadow figures out, the Joes' rally point turns out to be the Silent Castle.
- Cobra Commander remains in his throne room and gets off the issue's best line: "hand me the armored trousers", as he tries to buckle himself into his battlesuit.
- As the Joes tear into the BATs in the Castle's courtyard, they all holler "Yo Joe!" *groan*
- Zartan returns this issue, as he's shown changing into a facsimile of Snake-Eyes. We'll see if that plays into next issue's shenanigans.
- For minutea trivia: Hawk tries to sneak into the Pentagon as "General Vorlick".
- The Pentagon guards say that Hawk "did a Kurtz and went off-grid", a reference to Heart of Darkness/Apocalypse Now. That movie seems to be a favorite of Hama's, as he referenced it in 2002's Devil's Due "Front Line" story.
- This issue really feels like some of the "return to the castle" garbage that Hama wrote, circa 1992-1994. It seems like whenever he crafts stories involving the castle, things suck. Like he's trying too hard to hit a home run.
- If this is the blow-off to the big re-launch story --a firefight at the Silent Castle and a phonecall to the President-- I will be sorely disappointed. So many cool options were available with the Joes being outlaws and Cobra being backed by the US. But those may be passing by.
Characters (figures): Hawk, Rock & Roll, Roadblock, Duke, Mainframe, Snake-Eyes, Scarlett, Stalker, Cobra Commander, Baroness, Dr. Mindbender, Zartan
Characters ("comic-only"): Billy, Dr. Venom (virtual), local villagers.
Vehicles and stuff (toys): none
Vehicles and stuff (not toys): none
Vehicles and stuff: none
Rating: 2 Flag Points
Back to GI Joe Comic Index Main Page
Back to Comics index