<% = BreadCrumb(Request.ServerVariables("PATH_INFO")) %>
#149 - ""Heroes and Medals and Things"
Writer: Larry Hama
Penciler: Phil Gossier
Flint and Lady Jaye do some recon behind Cobra's lines. They find out all about Wolfgang's fuel delivery. He bought it on the Darklonian black market and was intending to sell it to the Borovians. But he missed the turn-off and ended up back in Darklonia. Wolfgang had also intended to sell a comatose Gen. Leiderkranz to Cobra, but Cobra refused, since that would mean the W-landers would suddenly have a capable leader.
Wolfgang painted a rosier picture-- of how he single-handed braved enemy lines and carried the General on his back. Flint and Lady Jaye expose his lies, but Wolfgang still manages to weasel his way out of it. He shows a book of receipts of how he intended to pay everything back and Liederkranz buys it. Stalket then finds out that the "book of receipts" was actually a betting book, as Wolfgang also moonlights as a bookie.
In the Silent Castle, Billy and the Baroness are continually tortured in the Brainwave Scanner. Billy fakes a traitorous turn, so he can get on the good side of Cobra. He leads Cobra into a hidden ICBM missle control room...and launches a missile with his face. Cobra shoots it down, but it was all a ruse so Billy could send a "signal" to the Joes' satellite .
In the Pit, Storm Shadow activates hidden sensors in the Castle, that he planted back in issue 138. He then hikes up to Snake-Eyes' mountain cabin to "say goodbye"...but it actually recruits Snake-Eyes into ending his sabbatical and going back into action.
Finally, Dr. Mindbender has constructed a suit of armor for Cobra Commander, that conceals under his regular uniform. Bulltproof, super-strength and a weapons system.
- Storm Shadow also delivers a picture of Snake-Eyes' last medal. He'll never get to wear it, as per standard protocol, it's all classified and will go into a vault for 20 years.
- The final page of this story basically sets up a 1-on-1 Snake-Eyes vs. Cobra Commander Grudge Match.
- Duke appears on "World Satelltie News" as "Sgt. Hauser". After a successful re-entry and landing, he denies to the cameras that there was ever an asteroid heading for Earth. It was just a "training exercise".
- The first "Cyber-Viper" appears. He has a red leg, a blue leg, red shoulder pads, yellow gloves and helmet..all on top of a green armored suit. A colorists' nightmare.
- We also get the "Nitro Viper", a re-colored "Track Viper" (HISS II driver)
- Cobra's action in Europe haven't been picked up by any media outlet. They were careful to kill no civilians, just military types... and nobody cares about that. Okay..but whattabout the deaths of the White Clown and Magda (the former PM of Borovia)?
- Baroness and Billy are being kept in the same cell Scarlett was in, in issue 21.
- Snake-Eyes is shown, maskless. Gossier actually makes his scars look ugly.. like a nasty burn victim...something previous artists couldn't pull off.
Characters (figures): Hawk, Stalker, Flint, Lady Jaye, Duke, Storm Shadow, Cover Girl, Snake-Eyes, Scarlett, Cobra Commander, Dr. Mindbender, Baroness
Characters ("comic-only"): Gen. Leiderkranz, Wolfgang, Billy
Vehicles and stuff (toys): Cobra Detonator
Vehicles and stuff (not toys):Russian Space Shuttle (cameo), Cobra gunship/transport copt
Vehicles and stuff: none
Rating: 2 Flag Points
Back to GI Joe Comic Index Main Page
Back to Comics index